CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Thursday, April 16, 2009

Because I Am Furniture by Thalia Chaltas

Because I Am Furniture by Thalia Chaltas

Publisher: Viking Children's Books (April 16, 2009)
Paperback: 356 pages
Age Group: Young Adult

Amazon
Barnes and Noble
Books-A-Million

Anke's father is abusive. But not to her. He attacks her brother and sister, but she is ignored, forced to be an invisible witness in a house of horrors. Believing she isn't worthy of even the worst kind of attention, Anke feels about as significant as the living room sofa. Until she makes the volleyball team at school. In a sport where you have to yell "Mine!" to play the ball, Anke learns for the first time how to make herself heard. As her confidence on the court builds, she finds a voice she didn't know existed. And it's not long before she realizes that if she can make people hear her while she's playing volleyball, then maybe she can be heard at home, too.



Okay, first off: this review is going to be extremely hard to write. I had very high expectations for Because I Am Furniture. I had never read anything by Chaltas before. But just the plot of Because I Am Furniture is a subject that needs to be heard. There are a lot of people out there having to put up with abusive people in their homes and family.

Once I heard the plot of this novel, I was very excited to be receiving it. Once it came I moved it up in my list. I flipped through it and found it really was a series of poems. Which I was a bit hesitant about, because I normally don't read too many of these types of books. But I started reading it.

I couldn't get fully into it. I kept reading, though. I went through it fast, since it was just a series of poems.

The overall plot for this novel is great. Anke was a great character, but I didn't feel I got very close with her. I was very glad with the outcome at the end. How everything turned out.
Though I didn't get very into this book, it still has left a part of it with me. Just because of Anke's story. What her story involves. The subject of her story.

I think everyone should at least read this once.

three stars



2 Comments:

Erika Powell said...

great review, i am really looking forward to this book.

Tasha said...

I agree that the book went to quickly, but I think the poems were what helped Anke become a stronger character. It wasn't as good as I was expecting, but like you said everyone should read it once. Great review by the way.

Shelfari: Book reviews on your book blog