CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Thursday, April 16, 2009

If I Stay by Gayle Forman

If I Stay by Gayle Forman


Publisher: Dutton Juvenile(April 12, 2009)
ARC: 196 pages
Age Group: Young Adult



"Just Listen," Adam says with a voice that sounds like shrapnel. I open my eyes wide now. I sit up as much as I can. And I listen.
"Stay," he says.
Choices. Seventeen-year-old Mia is faced with some tough ones: Stay true to her first love—music—even if it means losing her boyfriend and leaving her family and friends behind?

Then one February morning Mia goes for a drive with her family, and in an instant, everything changes. Suddenly, all the choices are gone, except one. And it's the only one that matters.

When I first saw If I Stay in the mail I was excited. The cover was simple, but beautiful. I had already read the synopsis on Amazon and on Gayle Forman's website, but I never really got what the story was completely about. I sat for a few minutes staring at the cover, wondering why the cover looked the way it did. Trying to see if it would tell anything about the story.

I admit, when I first tried to read If I Stay, I couldn't get into it. So, I moved onto another novel and came back to it at the beginning of April. I started reading and got farther into it, past where I had left off the second time, and I'm really glad I did.

This is one of those novels that really get you thinking about your own life as you progress through the story.

Though I didn't shed any tears at all, it did bring up a lot of emotions that made me stop reading it a couple of times. Especially when I was reading it on my break at work.

Mia was a wonderful character. The love she had for her family, best friend Kim, boyfriend Adam and music, especially her Cello, was extremely real. I could feel how much she loved them and I know it made her decision to stay or to go that much harder.

Usually I don't like when a book jumps from past to present, but in If I Stay it wouldn't have worked any other way and throw off as much emotion as it did.

Honestly, I don't even know what to really say about this novel. I'm having trouble with words and expressing my feelings about it. So please, forgive me.

Gayle Forman's writing was unique and a bit lyrical. It was easy to read, but at times confusing. It didn't take away from the overall story, though.

Overall it was a beautiful read and I will definitely remember it. A part of it will always stay with me, it really got me thinking about what I would do in Mia's situation and really makes me appreciate what I have. Even though my parents drive me completely insane sometimes, I know they love me and I'm not sure what I would do without them when it comes right down to it.

four stars

10 Comments:

Synthie Lies said...

Awh, this sounds like an outstanding book. It sounds like one of those books you read why you really need time to think about your own situations amidst the main character's. Great review Amanda ^_^.

Mandy said...

Ah, yes. You should really read it. :) Maybe once I get my license(hopefully next week, since I'm already months late. >>) We can hang out and I can bring you the book. :P

Emily Ruth said...

I'm in the middle of it and absolutely LOVE it.
It's in the top of my 2009 favorites so far :) most definitely.

Erika Powell said...

this book sounds so amazing and all the reviews have been great. Great review!

Mandy said...

Emily Ruth: I'm glad you're liking it. :) It's a great book.

Erika Lynn: You should read it. :) It is good. Really good. Also, there is going to be a movie of it. Not exactly sure when, but there will be.

Unknown said...

ooooh i really liked this one too!!

Mandy said...

Robin Titan: Yes, it's good. :)

Adele said...

Lovely review Mandy - I think everyone and their dog knows how much I love this book, but the adoration is deserved.

It's in my top 2 for 2009 so far and I cannot wait for GF's next effort.

Mandy said...

Adele: Thanks. Glad you thought so. Nice post earlier, I still can't believe that someone said that about IF I STAY.

Amee said...

Great review! I can't wait to read this one. Everyone says such good things about it. :)

Shelfari: Book reviews on your book blog